It’s only after we’ve lost everything that we’re free to do anything.” 
~ from the movie, Fight Club

Isn't this a freeing thought and so true. When you have nowhere to go but up the future begins to look bright. 

I've been fascinated with the stories about people who just pick up and disappear only to resurface years later. When questioned, their response is: I just needed a clean break, I needed to start over. Now I'm aware of the damage this does to a family if they have been abandoned. But haven't you ever felt that sometime in your life - "I just need a start over...a clean break"? Don't you wish sometimes you could just break free: walk out of work, walk away from bills, and all of life's stresses. We want a do over..."if I had it to do over again I'd do it all differently".   

I think to often we get stuck in the "loss everything" or "I have nothing" mode, and fail to recognize that if it truly is loss/nothing, and not our own discontent, then this is the greatest position to be in.

We are free...free that is, to make new choices. Isn't the "loss everything" mode really about us feeling out of control? It's about us not being able to fix or manipulate the outcome. And ultimately this is right where our Creator wants us to be...dependent...on Him. I think God smiles when we get this.



2 BE HIP! share your comments. Give your thoughts.:

Tammie said...

Wow! Couldn't have said it better! Reading the Dream Giver again...3 years after leaving it all for my "do over." The best gift through it all is the opened hands to receive God's dream and complete surrender....When I am in these moments, I have it all!

WT Durrance said...

@tammie: Complete surrender it hard to do. No wonder when hard times come we get blown away.

Post a Comment

Leave me your thoughts.

top